Mudcat Café message #668834 The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #45226   Message #668834
Posted By: The Shambles
14-Mar-02 - 01:41 AM
Thread Name: PEL-More questions
Subject: RE: PEL-More questions
Q: Who needs a public entertainment licence (PEL)?

A: Anyone organising any public performance of live music virtually anywhere. Without first obtaining a PEL from their local authority they could face a criminal prosecution. Venues affected could include village halls, schools, hospitals, libraries and so on.

Whoever was charged, licensee or in the case of a public hall or an outside festival say, the organiser, it would be with a criminal offence. I don't think that any insurance can cover you for breaking the law - or can it?

If the licensee in question allows a session to take place, to be on the safe side they should first establish if their local authority considers this to be a public entertainment requiring a PEL. If they do, he is commiting a criminal offence without one.

If they don't - - - then we will have finally cracked it!