Mudcat Café message #2933850 The Mudcat Café TM
Thread #130272   Message #2933850
Posted By: GUEST,LTS pretending to work
24-Jun-10 - 07:20 AM
Thread Name: BS: Motocycle advise
Subject: RE: BS: Motocycle advise
Re UK licences and bikes

Full car licence = provisional bike licence - you MUST take both CBT and Theory tests before being allowed on the road with L plates.

Trikes count as a 3 wheeled vehicle and can be ridden with full car licence. A helmet is not required but most trikers I know wear one if travelling any distance on larger roads. I'll have to double check but I think if it is over a certain CC you are allowed on motorways on a trike. I have certainly seen (and been overtaken by) trikers on motorways.

Previously you could drive Trikes and other 3 wheeled vehicles (remember the Plastic Pig - forerunner to the Robin Reliant?) on a bike licence, but I have a sneaking suspicion this might have changed recently.