Mudcat Café Message Lyrics & Knowledge Personal Pages Record Shop Auction Links Radio & Media Kids Membership Help
The Mudcat Cafeawe

User Name Thread Name Subject Posted
Emma B BS: No longer Great Britain? (220* d) RE: BS: No longer Great Britain? 14 Aug 10

'"People with a recorded diagnosis of alcohol or drug dependency may have other diagnoses, for example mental illness, which result in their incapacity for work."
You just answered your own question.'

Whatever that means - it still only makes the figure from the Minister of State (Employment), Work and Pensions 41,230 and not the 300,000 you asserted

'Regarding your remark "To qualify for incapacity benefit/severe disablement allowance, claimants have to undertake a medical assessment of incapacity for work. This assesses the effects of a person's condition on their ability to carry out a number of everyday activities relevant to work".

Sorry Gaint -

NOT my remark - maybe you didn't notice the quotation marks?
The 'remark' in fact was part of the Written answers and statements, 20 July 2010 by Chris Grayling (Minister of State (Employment), Work and Pensions; Epsom and Ewell, Conservative)

People who are identified as having a SEVERE health condition or disability on paper evidence are eligible for benefit without the need to undergo a face to face assessment.

However, ALL OTHERS are required to undergo a face to face assessment.

This assessment is carried out by approved Atos Healthcare professionals, who are trained in disability assessment.
The assessment assesses a number of physical activities and the mental functioning of the patient.

Additionally, healthcare professionals may be asked to provide medical information if it is considered possible that the person might meet the threshold of incapacity without the need for a face to face assessment.

However I don't consider that is any point in discourse with someone so intent on impugning the reputation and professional ethics of approved health professionals.

As for the motability scheme -
This is restricted to those in receipt of the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance or the War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement.
It is a Contract Hire agreement which includes the cost of maintenance of the car but not fuel charges

For those who prefer to buy their own car, a Hire Purchase lease is also available based on the normal practice of negotiating the actual purchase price with their Motability dealer.
As an owner the disabled person is also be responsible for organising and paying for comprehensive insurance, breakdown recovery, your car tax disc, servicing and repairs.

Mobility allowance is used to cover the cost of a car, powered wheelchair or scooter and in the case of a car it usually takes the whole allowance so it does not also cover the cost of a powered wheelchair or scooter as well.

Post to this Thread -

Back to the Main Forum Page

By clicking on the User Name, you will requery the forum for that user. You will see everything that he or she has posted with that Mudcat name.

By clicking on the Thread Name, you will be sent to the Forum on that thread as if you selected it from the main Mudcat Forum page.
   * Click on the linked number with * to view the thread split into pages (click "d" for chronologically descending).

By clicking on the Subject, you will also go to the thread as if you selected it from the original Forum page, but also go directly to that particular message.

By clicking on the Date (Posted), you will dig out every message posted that day.

Try it all, you will see.